Monday, June 15, 2009

A Strange Paradox

"...And to be drawn into that relationship is to surrender to the Father, to receive the Spirit, and to know Jesus. It is giving myself away completely, and receiving back infinitely more than the little that I gave away.

The highest form of self-possession is the capacity to give myself away. It is the highest form of freedom; it is the perfect act of freedom."

Breathe.

The capacity to give myself away.

What does this truly mean? How do I do this in purest form and motive, expecting nothing in return?

Last night I was thinking about something Jesus said "If you want to follow me...you must pick up your cross and follow me." When Jesus said this, the cross had yet to happen. We have the privileged to know the full story but at the time the disciples had not yet witnessed what the cross would ultimately become. Often I've thought of the cross as similar to a burden. Though a burden it would be, it is much more of a mandate. Ever wonder why Jesus didn't say "put your sandals on and follow me" or "sell your home and follow me"? Why did he use a sign of death? "If you want to follow Me, you must deny yourself of the things you think you want." This way of Christ is one much different than the way of our consumer/ME culture.

What does it look like to die and yet live? What a strange paradox.

The capacity to give myself away.

No comments:

Post a Comment